Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - pay for gov/public sector vs mnc vs sme
View Single Post
Old 24-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Verified Member

bladez87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
At last, someone is talking some sense, not like the other guy who totally missed my points in making swiping statements against a respectable sector in totally out of context manner. Government service is definitely not the highest paying sector but it's the most predictable career path (consistency here) i.e. you should be able to feed you and your family comfortably well and spend quality time with them. If you do work *consistently* smart/well and maintain good working relationships with your peers and bosses, I see very high chance (another consistency) of least retiring at MX9 and above. Just that most of the young officers don't last that long (including scholars - yes, many won't stay long either). I've with the service for quite sometime. Many had joined same time with me, but my batch only left with very few (sometime you can't help but can feel quite lonely at just beginning of mid-way).

Increments may be slow at beginning but can get quite rewarding in longer time span i.e. law of compound interests of 4-8% p.a. for average joe with occasional promotions of 8-15% (another consistency).

Having said that, you still won't be as rich as the top private bankers, top managers, top accountants etc unless you are absorbed into AO (very rare but still possible).

On the other hand, private sector is more rewarding and at same time chances of getting nowhere is also real e.g. US MNC is known to hire generously and fire quickly. Personally, I knew quite a few business acquaintances were hired into VP roles at young age in some IT US MNC but were at gone after 1-3 years (heard of being "fired" or "retrenched"). I also noted someone in thread mentioned that being unpredictable is fun. But I also do believe many still prefer stability (another "consistency" in career).
Why did your peers leave? And I was under the impression that experience in CS is irrelevant to the private sector, does that mean that your peers started from bottom again in the private sector?