Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning?
View Single Post
Old 22-10-2012, 12:49 PM

haiz1234 is on a distinguished road
Default My assessment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwurm View Post
In fact demanding shareholding as part of compensation is a common practice among starting companies. Put it this way how else are small firms going to attract good caliber people otherwise? Their salaries are low, benefits marginal, training is a joke compare to MNC & usually looks very bad on anyone’s CV, why will good people want to join them? There are not enough dummies to con just by giving fancy title & even if there are, this is not the kind of people you want right?

Think about it, if there is no shareholding, what value does this adventure give you? You just end up choosing a high risk job with meager pay, no value add to CV, learn nothing about HR & get totally no rewards on the upside for the risk you take. To me is a no brainer to choose CPIB if there is no form of share compensation to compensate you abandoning your current job just to join a startup.

Minority shareholder does not automatic grant you directorship, this is something for you all to work out. Don’t kid yourself you’ll be doing anything HR in such startups, they don’t have the luxury to hire one manager just to do HR, it will be 20% HR 80% other stuff.

My 2 cents, think wisely.
Yes I agrees with most of the things you mentioned. It's obvious a risk to take, and fancy me asking for shareholding is quite bluntly and greedy to ask for. To pay someone with no HR experience a HR manager pay compared to the market is really a laughing stock already and it is also his risk when I am leaving.
What worried me is a startup is not easy but by stating proper HR business process align to company objectives should b the challenging thing. One step at a time..

2nd is the Malay domineering part. I have to task myself to recruit necessary and required personnel based on company required portfolio and sales. Not many delivery job will be taken by Chinese.. All in all the company should have a mixture of race, well calibre personnel fit for an Organisation that deliver the best courier service. I would need finance and slowly IT personnel etc.. I believe HR assistant I can find easily in the market with considerably low pay.

Perhaps I shouldn't be offered a HR manager role but an assistant manager first and state in my résumé HR manager only after a year? In terms of credential and credibility, my friend has exp of HR asst manager at hotel line and decided to start this coy in 2010...

If shareholding is really a must, I would rather take bonus or profits sharing at end of the year.. Because I aren't the core person clinching sales for the company, there are sales manager or more sales mgr coming in depend on capacity availability. Right now, friend needs someone to integrate all the here general stuffs for HR to have a system within.. From payroll, leaves and to personal employee C&B, recruitment.

An employee handbook would be good...

Joining CPIB is safe choice but not necessary good route for starting a family and gain ultimate satisfaction? It's a join and hard to leave thingy.. 2.5 years bonded inclusive of training..