Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Unregistered

Default Polar opposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Let me share something with you. I always had a car since uni, actually had in just before I ORD-ed. It was a Jap car. It was special driving to school back then when less than 5% of the school's population (my time) had a car. Felt really good and I had no shortage of attention. Being in NTU and having a car means that for those living in hostel, you are their "ticket" out for supper. No shortage of friends.

The car became my source of confidence. A self reassuring tool that made me feel that I was successful. When I graduated, I didn't earn much. Still, I mantained my car and bought season parking in CBD. It cost me $450 per month. But I felt good telling my colleagues I drove to work and sometimes I drive them out for lunch. Again, the car was my ticket to feeling good.

Then it escalates. I sold my JP car and bougth a continental car last year. Cost me almost S$200k. I used all my work savings and took a 7-yr car loan. My monthly expense drains me almost $2k+ (loan + petrol + season parking). I save $500-700 a month only.

In the eyes of alot of my colleagues and friends... I'm a high flyer. I'm doing well. I don't know how long this fascade can continue. I can't afford a house. I'm single, late 20s, living with my parents.

I've only my CPF and less than $10k savings. If I get married, it would be a 4RM hdb flat for me.

Living the SG dream... still.
Interesting story, thanks for sharing. I'm the polar opposite who has the second property but only my family and very very close friends know it because I don't want to look as if I am showing off. And, what goes up may come down, I may be in ++ve equity today but 3 yrs later who knows what happens to property values? Then the nastier acquaintances or colleagues will start laughing and gloating.

But everybody knows I don't have a car.... Maybe this is considered acting average. Hahahaha....