Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning?
View Single Post
Old 15-09-2012, 05:24 PM

cbee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Disagree with this statement about HR grooming unheard of.

There are a lot of hi-po programs in global MNCs that groom HR professionals for the fast track. Such programs usually advertised as Management Associates or Graduate Trainee programs without specifying which function to retain flexibility for deployment, but HR gets its fair share of these hi-pos.

But agree that competition super tough, regualr run of the mill local grads have little chance, pte uni no chance at all.

Friendly piece of advice as someone with exp in career development: either ask your company to allow you to present to clients autonomously or join another consultancy that gives you that opportunity. Nobody gets anywhere in hr/consultancy by just doing excel & powerpoint whole day. My first job in consultancy I was already engaging clients in my 2nd week.
The point I am trying to make is simply MA programs specifically targeting HR, albeit there are instances of these programs, form up a relatively smaller proportion of all the other MA programs which target sales, marketing, SCM and project management.

In consultancy, we have many opportunities to engage clients and be present in CEO and Remuneration Committee meetings. The experience you are getting is completely end-to-end. I am sharing the fact that you have to be doing excel and powerpoint the whole day to not paint the pretty image of a consultant just going into a client meeting all guns blazing. There is a lot of groundwork which involves tons of number crunching and slides preparation in terms of presenting your information in an aesthetically pleasing and easily understandable format. This is essentially the core of your jobscope and if someone cannot handle sitting down and doing all the groundwork first, there really is no point enticing them with the more glorious face to face client presentations.