Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment
View Single Post
Old 17-06-2024, 11:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
the longer u wait in big 4 the harder it is for u to find some legit commercial accounting position without being lowballed. this industry is dominated by middle age auntie and uncles who may not even have a degree, forget abt CPA/CA. chances are most SMEs rather hire a 5k per month 8YOE auntie accountant as compared to ex-auditor. 1st they cant afford u, 2nd as compared to these laoniao, u more likely to jump again as u want more salary 2 years later...
I jumped out as S1, was offered a 30% increment plus a title drop (senior to analyst) . recently got another offer which gives me a 40% jump (this is after my 2 years in commercial with 20% adjustment - promoted once) same batch friends trying to jump out now, she was offered mostly at her current big 4 salary / 5-10% increase, what's worse is most FP&A job will take those from FP&A or accounting advisory functions. Auditors are not competitive in the Finance BP / FP&A fields cos of the lack of knowledge in Tableau/Power BI/ management reportings
if u want jump, jump asap. dont think the jump as mgr get 40% bump works anymore
to be fair, there is always two sides of a coin, i myself left with a 30% increment as s1 recently. honestly best decision of my life. in fact i managed to get 2 offers that offered 30% increment (big MNCs)

the reason i left is because when i look around, my peers cant even string together two complete sentences, and some of them the accounting knowledge is non-existent, and yet i draw the same salary as them. no thank you.

the point im trying to make is, as long as you can articulate the value of your experience in audit, e.g being able to see the big picture and correlate financial information + some technical, its easy to get a job, because well look at the current state of the people coming out of audit. one of the interviewer was surprised i could give some JEs for initial and subsequent measurement of a bond when some people with 5 years FS experience can even do the same... and im not even from a FS background...

i guess im just thankful that i got pretty good exposure during my first 2 years and had decent seniors and managers to guide me, but i can quickly see that even that is going downhill as some of the seniors nowadays are questionable at best...