Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - My plan for breaking into finance sector
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
it seem that your age 30/31 ????Am I corrected
Ricardo is very positive. I kinda agree. I find comments in forums are more often than not, disparaging. We really need more constructive feedbacks.

I am currently in IG programme with GS. My age is 30. Yes, fresh grads do have advantages when applying to such programmes. And typically the application rate for such programmes are over a thousand, fighting for the 30 odd places for more prestigious international financial institutions / banks. If you are saying "If you are more than 30 yrs old, you don't stand a chance at all, 0% chance", well, i am here to vouch otherwise.

Credentials and age are factors but one thing Ricardo didn't mention is also personality. When interviewers hire potential bankers, one important criteria they look at is your personality as well your interest in the area and how you portray that you have that interest is equally important as well. You can be from Ivy league, top guy, 24 yrs old, but if your personality is not really what they look for, compared to a 30 yrs old with lesser credentials but having great personality, some one who can convince. End of the day, who do they hire. Well, I am not from any Ivy League Unis.

I think the bottom line is, be sure what your passion is, or at least where your interest lies. Lock in on your target and like Ricardo said, work consistently on it. Don't give up just because someone else who had given up on their dreams told you "nah, its impossible, keep dreaming".