Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 26-04-2024, 02:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Don't be too harsh on him. Law sch doesn't adequately teach people how to draw inferences from datasets.
Hi. 9 PQE here. Just wanted to say that the data presented by said study is not entirely accurate. The amount the firm pays our NQs are not codified or follow a fixed set of rules. At least that’s what I know from my discussions with HR.

When I see a freshly called lawyer, especially if it’s an interview for a job setting, I usually look at how his body language first. After that I ask questions and based on the replies I get, determine whether he or she will be a good fit in the team.

The salary I would say also differs from person to person. Don’t believe there is any benchmark or ceiling. At least not from the ones I recommend to HR.

If the person comes out to me as knowledgeable, respectful and willing to learn, I would have a good impression compared to a NQ that says rubbish and acts arrogant.

For example, if an NQ says something like “logic would dictate that…” I would not have a very good impression of him/her because to me it sounds like he thinks he is better than everyone. This kind of character would not do well in a law firm so chances are, I would not want him in my team.

But if the person talks like this:
“I am a blank sheet of paper, a freshly called graduate but I am willing to learn.” Then it’s a whole different story.