Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Civil Service Performance Bonus
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2024, 12:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think the person meant that you will need to find a role that is tagged at the MX11A/MX10 estab, so allow you to get into a 'higher position'. if the role you're sitting on now is capped at MX11A, you will prob need to move to one that is tagged at MX10 in order for you to make the movement to the higher grade.

I take it you're not a scholarship holder (no offence, neither am I). Promotions aren't straightforward in the civil service. At MX11A AD level, your supervisors (whether deputy director or director) would have signalled to you if there were plans to promote you.

This then kicks into a gear ways to boost you throughout the year for promotion, such as giving you the more important(-sounding) pieces to work on. It's reverse engineering and promotions are not given for just doing your work well.

Unfortunately, a lot depends on whether you're in good favour as well as the make-up of your division. Older staff (meaning 40s onwards) will know that as good grades are already reserved for younger staff and scholarship holders, there is little or nothing left unless your director has taken a shine to you (have also found that deputy directors' views can be easily overridden by the director, so of course best to be on good terms with all supervisors, but focus on your director if that's possible).