Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I get what you mean. However, my main gripe with the pseudo-meritocracy is not that intelligence is not rewarded but rather hard work isn't. You don't have to be highly intelligent to do well in school but you have to be very hardworking, yet at the end of the day people just born into wealth, born with intelligence, born with eq or even those who just got into the right industry will triumph your earnings with incommensurate effort.
You fail to take into account the element of luck. Many people underestimate the effects of luck and blame other factors for their lack of achievement.

Suppose a young person excels in school or sports -- both areas where luck plays a relatively minor part as compared with the game of life and career advancement. He will surely feel dejected when he steps out to the society and finds that hard work and innate ability are not good predictors of success (high positions, high income above 300k pa).

Copied from the main page of Salary.sg - Your Salary in Singapore :
"Hard work will get you a professorship or a BMW. You need both work and luck for a Booker, a Nobel or a private jet. (UK Sunday Times, Jun 1, 2008)"

I would say you need lots of luck to even just hit 300k pa in pay. Hard work will at most bring you 100k.