Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 31-03-2024, 09:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
private tech firm does not offer stability, we undergo restructuring every other quarter, I'm currently in the stage of family planning, therefore don't mind taking a pay cut if I can have a predictable and stable work life, more importantly no night calls and will be able to leave work on time.

Hoping to find a ministry role that can offer the flexibility for me to step back for a while, and then step up again for a bigger role when kid finally grows up. is that too much to ask?
you can have what you stated - stability and worklife balance, as long as you are able to accept:

1. a substantial paycut of 30% or more
2. hired on contract basis, with some risk of no renewal after it ends

some additional pointers for you to know...nowadays most new hires are on contract, not perm. so the stability part is actually not 100%. and depending on the ministry you join, you may also still need to OT occasionally. even if you have the option to refuse, it will be reflected in your performance grade somehow.

of course, you might be lucky enough to get an insignificant paycut (or perhaps one might even match your pay) and you could also get emplaced permanently.

with these information on possibilities and risks, you decide for yourself if it is too much to ask for?