Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Year 1, $1.8k (Sales Engineer@SME)
Year 2, $1.9k (Service Technician)
Year 3, $3.5k (Service Engineer)
Year 4, $3.6k (Project Engineer)
Year 5, $3.6k
Year 6, $3.7k
Year 7, $4.1k (Senior Project engineer@ new SME)
Year 8, $4.5k (Assistant PM)
Year 9, $5k (Project Manager)
Year 10, $9.5k (Design Engineer, MNC)

(monthly salary above)

My journey through engineering has been abnormal.

No degree, no diploma.

Apply for a equipment sales job at the start cuz no technical knowledge. Spend more time reading technical manuals than selling. Boss said sales sucks. I ask to join technician. Hands on CMI at first but i know how to program the equipment cause I read the manual so got value add to the service team. Learn how to wire up equipment and controls by myself. Learn how do troubleshoot, learn welding, learn repairs on equipment, learn how to test and commission equipment. learn how to read electrical drawing, mechanical drawing, controls drawing, p&id drawing.

Learn how to run project. Jump ship to main con. Learn how to do calculations that design consultant do. Airflow, cooling, electrical loading, cable sizing, duct sizing, pipe sizing, learn how to program PLC, learn coding, learn fire code. start new project, fight with consultant cause their design here wrong there wrong, clients engineer dept agree, save them money and headache.
Become PM cause engineer pay sucks. miss doing technical stuff. PM only see schedule see budget see manpower. client offer me design job cause they see i got hope. take job. am i imposter?
I can beat you hands down with a degree even though I got no experience and can't even do a fraction of what you can.