Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 14-03-2024, 11:54 PM

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
With so many stories of teachers quitting, changing to FAJT, what are some reasons that will make you want to stay on as a perm teacher?

Or, what are some changes you hope to see in our system so that you will not consider changing job?
I have asked myself this question multiple times. So let me share my 5 cents.

Firstly those are 2 big and very different steps. FAJT vs quitting MOE entirely.

For quitting MOE entirely, I know that I can still find other jobs that to me are personally meaningful, e.g. Social Services. However, I lose the chance to impact people with a skillset that I know I am good at, teaching. This craft is actually not easy to master. But over the years, I know that I have the ability to impact the young ones with my teaching. So this option is out for me.

As for changing to FAJT. The question to consider will definitely be, what is the difference between FAJT and full-fledged. "More flexibility, less pay" is what people usually trade off for FAJT. But you lose a lot of your 'passion' (not the best word to describe, but best-fit imo). I have seen FAJT over the years, just going very strictly by the hour. They won't stay a minute longer, and a lot of the FT-ship stuff falls onto the other FT. So it becomes a bit mechanical to them (no different from teaching tuition outside). So over these years, albeit considering the change to FAJT, I have decided multiple times, to remain, grit my teeth during difficult times, find communities that support you as much as you can also support them.

Hope this provides some insight to your question.