Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 17-02-2024, 12:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Do any of you feel guilty when you leave the office on time? With the work completed, what's the point of staying back just to appear busy? I was casually asked by a colleague about my early departure, who jokingly suggested if I had another job on the side, based on what she claimed she heard from someone. When I asked if she stays back in the evenings despite having no work left, she said yes. It made me ponder the culture of presenteeism in our workplace and whether it truly adds value.
I feel guilty for 3 secs on those days I leave early, but than i quickly thought about the other many late days I had to pull through to get work done and that guilt is released immediately.

As an advice, I think you don't need to compare yourself to others. Be confident of your work contributions. I think a lot of such guilt sometimes comes from your fear that you are not seen as "performing" as well as others due to work hours. But people have different reasons for staying in school, and our schedules are always diff from 1 teacher to another due to diff duties. Some even choose to stay in school a bit more to avoid home a bit.

But if you regularly have a lot of days where you can leave early, and colleagues have that impression of you being employed "outside", than the bigger issue may not be your work ability, but whether you have been meaningfully deployed to contribute.