Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - calculate salary must calculate the hidden cost also
View Single Post
Old 17-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Verified Member

kakarukeys is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Comparisons by hourly rate is spurious unless you actually charge by hourly rate. Following your dubious methodology then you might as well adjust for coffee breaks, lunch breaks, commuting times, etc....in which case that takes you down another rabbit hole.

If you want to compare salary then compare salary.... What makes you think your friend doesn't value working OT? Maybe that's just her investment to secure quicker promotion or she might value working extra hours more than leisure time?? Does that mean she not only earns more than you but also derives same daily satisfaction as well?
A monthly salary can be converted to hourly rate for the sake of comparison. And it's mathematically more sound. There is no need to adjust for minor factors, if they aren't significant enough to affect the results.

You have a good point. If a person enjoys extra work and she doesn't mind doing it for free, there is no point doing the comparison. My comparison is purely monetary in nature, and I assign a dollar value to every hour and every effort put in. This is just a methodology for a reference.

I too don't compare salaries unless the other person brings this up purposefully