Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 13-01-2024, 07:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hmm… do you have stats, or is this just based on deduction? (I don't know the answer myself, just wanted to know if this is confirmed.)

On their own, I feel the above two reasons aren't particularly strong reasons to activate teachers in particular:
1) Officers tend to be assigned to polling stations near their registered address (regardless of where they work); there's no real need to activate more teachers just because schools are election venues.

2) Polling Day is a public holiday; there's no real advantage to activating teachers over other officers.

I will admit that I feel I've seen many teachers deployed as election officers; but this has been anecdotal on my part. Is there anything that confirms this observation?
Simple reason. Teachers have no annual leave.

Cannot make plans to travel overseas on a weekday.

Polling days are usually on Fridays.

Other than those on maternity leave, teachers also cannot use excuses such as they are on essential government duties, on standby etc to escape from election duties.

On paper, the original duty list reflects a good representation of officers from various ministries.

Have went through many polling days where actual day turnout of officers, is totally different from the original duty list.

There are also many officers activated at the very last minute, a couple I met were activated two days before polling day. They had not attended any training nor were they even on the original reserve list. They were the reserves of the reserves of the reserves (no mistake here).

The original rostered officers and reserves all keng and siamed election duty. Eld had to go down the list to find other officers, who also last minute keng.

Some poor fellow who is available, will kena the last minute arrows

And a lot of such people, are teachers.

Don't believe? Go and do election duty, go and ask around.