Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 25-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Verified Member

PaycheckSG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, I'm a SIM UOL Gruadate (Graduating 2012) in Economics & Management

I still have 3 papers to sit for but I've managed to secure myself a job in a bank with a starting pay of $2700, starting this June. The position is Branch Executive.

As of now, i don't know what honors i am going to graduate with but I am aiming to clinch a 2nd upper class, if not a 2nd lower will suffice. If I do manage to clinch a 2:1 honors, maybe I'd negotiate for a higher pay. Either way, in my interview, i wrote in my application form that my expected salary is $2500 (i'm not that picky) but I was instead offered $2700 in my contract when they accepted me for the job. So, as much as many would think it's "under-paid", I say I'm grateful enough to be given a job in such turbulent times.

My advise to all of you is on the interview. The interview will make-or-break your chance to get that job. I think I did well during the interview as I did my homework prior to coming down for the interview and planned ahead the questions that is to be asked (which they did and were impressed with my answers).

Your honors is only a bargaining tool to negotiate your starting pay. After securing the job, anything that goes beyond that, your certs don't matter anymore. So I would advise all you guys out there to not just focus on mugging, but also focus on building your character because to me that is the variable that will take you places!!

All the best my fellow SIM-UOL friends!!
I think Austerity totally got it right. Your qualifications opens the door for the chance of an interview. Thereafter, its who wants it more and is a better fit. Ask yourself this question: "If you are the hiring manager, do you want to hire someone every 6 months - 1 year, or someone who will stay with you to do your job?"

Project this attitude and the willingness to learn and I am sure your chances will be greatly increased.

Unfortunately, we been reading too many career articles on projecting confidence and such. Much as we like to think we are competent and intelligent, succeeding down this path will require something very "special".

Its also futile to compare salary based on arbitrary info. So focus on getting the first job and leave the salary negotiation to the next job. I always believe that if you're unhappy about the salary, the door is always open.