Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Further studies for property management route
View Single Post
Old 25-06-2012, 01:43 PM

kl_65 is on a distinguished road
Default Further studies for property management route

Hi guys,

I'm turning 24 this year with a building related diploma GPA 3.09 (Intelligent Building Technology), and planning to embark on the building management aspect on this career path and if possible maybe advance to real estate or investment too. My plan is to work 1 year in this industry as a property officer (save up $$$ and gain some experience) before going for further studies. I would like to seek your views regarding this:

I'm currently deciding between further studies between 2 institutions, either at: - UniSIM (Bsc Facilities and Events Management) stretch around Part-Time 4/5 Years

OR

- Heriott-Watt University (UK 20th Guardian universities league 2012) Part-time 1 year (Bsc in Facilities Management) under TRENT GLOBAL (private institution)

I'm aware that its more logical to choose UniSIM over Trent Global Heriott Watt UK degree as local HR practices held local institutions with higher regard. And I also have lose out to others in Local NUS/NTU given my results but i do not regret as i've already worked hard and done my very best during my polytechnic.

However the problem is UniSIM does not provide further studies to courses like Masters in real estate or MBA should i choose to cross over to real estate investment. And through my findings, i found that the 2 Unis have many common modules hence it does not justify spending 4/5 years in UniSIM to acquire a degree if i could spent 1 year learning the same stuffs and acquiring the qualifications as well.

Wheres if I decide my further studies though Heriott-Watt University route. It give me the options to complete my studies quicker and focus on my full-time career, also I could persue their MASTERs programe in Real Estate Development or Investment during my 20s as my degree is undertaken through them.

On a side note, I personally believe one should upgrade and stay competitive in SG, but not to a point where i miss out spending time and fun with family and friends, afterall life is more than just work and study rite.

pls advice. Thx =)