Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment
View Single Post
Old 14-11-2023, 08:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just curious, is it cus sinkies are shunning audit as a career, that’s why the quality of auditors are getting shittier. Based on personal experience, many sg managers that I have worked with are strong in terms of technical and management skills, no issues working with them. Now…the problem lies with those newly promoted jhk/jhb mgrs. Out of 5 I have encountered, 4 of them really leave me scratching my head with their atrocious English and bad planning and instructions. My secondary school student councilor nephew can lead even better than all of them combined. Worst of them, they seem to be living in their own bubble that they are god tier level since they climbed to manager level already. I hope they realize that audit is not rocket science and any dog or monkey can do. The only secret to climb up is to suck thumb and OT like a slave. Sometimes I don’t know should I laugh at them or feel sad for them.
It is a combination of several factors, the accountancy intake across university levels has decreased in general because accounting is no longer viewed as a good profession (boring, long hours, **** pay whatever), that itself has lowered the bar to get into accounting. And this is probably not limited to just SG, but worldwide. Which is why the quality across the board is just free falling. To fill the gaps even the Big4 is resorting to hiring from even the Tan Ah Gao LLP as well which has historically never happened.

Even with the bar lowered, if you are a fresh grad from NTU, and your intake got people from Tonkatsu Ramen univeristy as some of you have pointed out, and knowing that you are drawing the same salary, you will feel like your already diluted degree just got diluted even further. Therefore anybody worth their salt is bailing asap and those left behind are the true **** tier aside from the select few who really want to gun for partnership.

Even then, those with enough foresight will also bail because who the hell wants to be captain of a sinking ship.