Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - IMDA (under MCI)
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2023, 04:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

My colleagues and I write speeches and TPs, and hell - we know how much domain knowledge and experience the folks giving them have. I've personally witnessed Ds and DDs making inaccurate representations to sister agencies and foreign government officials quite a few times because of lack of domain expertise, and even saying things antithetical to IMDA's policies. It left me completely speechless. But these people still get the glory and promotions and move on. The speechwriters, who actually know their stuff, continue to be small cogs in the machinery.

A bunch of colleagues and I are actually worried about the future of Singapore and policies in relation to key areas that IMDA is responsible for. It's like watching a huge grand building slowly burn and collapse, and not being able to do anything about it.
Seems like you're from imda corporate comms. Understand that content is king, and the current trend for corporate leaders is thought leadership. I also came from corporate comms background, had produced thought leadership articles and messages for the C level at a tech company pre-covid.

Ideally, thought leadership yields the best results when the leader has some semblance of sound expertise in their domain. What thought leadership does is to bring out and magnify their inner expertise, and position them as subject matter experts in front of media and public stakeholders.

But if the leader has barely any sound knowledge in their domain, thought leadership is at best an interim solution for personal branding, not a long term solution. The leader himself has to eat the humble pie, acknowledge his weaknesses and take massive efforts to arm himself with tech wisdom so he can actually gain respect from his underlings in the company. What's the point of gaining respect from press media when he can't even get it from his own pple in the company?!

Currently, what your comms dept is doing is helping lousy, incompetent leaders to wayang in front of the public for personal glory, while you guys are doing all the heavy lifting. You guys are perpetuating the notion that it is ok to fuel narcissistic leaders' egos despite lacking in substance, and therefore are complicit in the false, staged narrative of imda. Thought leadership is a horrible idea coming from your director. She should have asked you guys to be LCH and HR's personal publicists to manage their bad rep online instead lol.