Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 19-09-2023, 11:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys, do you all feel that sg PTS in general (esp the older ones) tend to just want treatment for their symptom rather than treating/investigating for the underlying cause of their symptoms?

Can give many examples of that in my practice in ops.
A) rash- just wants gentrisone because it works, not keen to hear about its side effects, and what could be the underlying cause of the rash (in this case was actually venous eczema...)
B) just want omeprazole for GERD coz it works. Not keen to work up/scope even though the gerd is like persistent for years. (Never had scope previously)
C) just want anarex for longstanding back pain/knee pain, refused to consider XR, or evaluation of possible causes, or consider physio as alternative ..

Many more examples I can think of.
But seems that people (esp the older PTS) don't get worried until they get symptoms. (Hence hard to convince them on the importance of chronic disease control), and when they get symptoms, they only want symptomatic relief, and not investigate/treat for underlying cause...

Not sure if pple feel the same or maybe I just noob.
It is true. Very short sighted. Maybe no insight also. Quick fix.
Also to do more tests and investigate got to take time off (work is paramount) and spend more money (money is even more paramount!)
But you must be careful. Still got to tell them the whole shebang. Cos if you just prescribe PPI and later turns out is indeed gastric ca they will say why doctor never warn me???
Patients have full autonomy and none of the responsibility.
Dr takes full responsibility but has to follow patient's autonomy.
Document you had suggested plan and patient declined. I know it sucks to preach to the choir but have to protect yourself.
At the end of the day, you want to practice in a field of medicine where people go to you and actually WANT what your proper practice does.
Few people go to aesthetic dr and says dowan botox dowan filler.
Same for surgeons.
Another common one is people asking for MRI spine. MRI spine doesn't determine some special medicine to cure the back pain. It usually means injections and/or surgery. Do the MRI already then tell patient they say wah lau I wasted my money then. Cos I thought with the MRI you can choose some better medicine for me.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app