Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 30-08-2023, 11:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Daft.

Tell me the name of ONE lawyer who is familiar with the leading cases and main principles for ALL of the following: Ethics & Professional Responsibility; Banking & Fundraising; Corporate Governance; Insolvency & Corporate Restructuring; Intellectual Property; Mergers & Acquisitions; Competition Law; Taxation; Admiralty; Civil Litigation; Arbitration; Mediation Advocacy; Written Advocacy; Oral Advocacy; Criminal Litigation Practice & Procedure; Family Law Practice (inclusive of Muslim Law); Probate & Succession Planning; Real Estate Practice (Conveyancing); Employment Law; Personal Injury & Property Damage; Data Protection and Cyber Regulation; Law & Technology; Comparative Laws (inclusive of Civil Law); Conflict of Laws etc.

It is not a matter of reading a 20 page primer with 'motherhood statements' for each subject. If that were so, no candidate would be complaining. SILE and the course conveners expect them to read all of the leading cases in all of these these subjects. One subject alone can have up to 130 cases in their syllabus. Do the math.

I won't be surprised if the failure rates exceed 60%.

Hi. I am a 2022 Part B Course candidate who got called to the Bar in 2023. Yes, my batch was the guinea pig batch for SILE to trial and error with the new syllabus and exam format etc.

I just want to say that your worries and concern for the Part B exams is not without reason. I think almost everyone in my batch had the same feeling as we entered the course. There was no instructions on the passing rate for exams or when the exams would be held or the format of each of the exams etc until the end of course lecture which was held in November 2022 iirc.

I am not saying that it does not matter but I also cant really agree that it does? Afterall we learn the module to grasp the idealogy behind the practice of it and not for the sake of exams. If the examiners decide to change it from open-ended to MCQ the night before the exam, it should not really be a matter of concern. If you know your stuff, you will pass.

Also we must understand that the tutors and lecturers are also active solicitors who have their own full time job. I am not sure if they are paid but I highly doubt so considering that we have DPPs from AGC giving us tutorials and lectures on Criminal Law. We cant expect them to volunteer for a 1 year course now can we.

Regarding the leading cases of each module's syllabus, I think there is a need to relook into how you are approaching your studies. I am not saying that what you are doing is wrong but we must appreciate that Part B is an open-book exam and you do not need to memorize "130 cases" for each module. All you have to do is read the case, understand what the legal principle is, write it down into your notes so it is easier to refer to in the exam. One thing I noticed is that although the syllabus dumps lots of cases for you to read, its mostly 5-10 cases explaining the same legal principle and all you need is the leading case coupled with some of your intellectual inputs as to why it is more logical/reasoned than its comparative dissent.

I had no trouble reading 100 cases for each module and then making my notes for each exam. In fact, I only needed 2 days to study for each module before the exam. Yes, I only started preparing for the final exams in December 2022 in middle of November 2022. For some context, I am a foreign university graduate who took the Part A and then the Part B bar course and examinations so I am not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. If you come from a local uni like NUS or SMU who had the opportunity to go through vigorous academic structure you will definitely have no problems with the Part B.

I understand that the Part B course 2023 has an increased number of modules, and since I have not taken a look at how in depth each module is, I will not be commenting on how challenging it is. However, given that someone like me who is amongst the bottom of my batch in terms of intellect only required 2 days to revise for each module for 8-9 examinations +2-3 practical examinations, I am sure having 25 modules would just require more time to prepare for your batch. It is manageable. Even if it isn't, part and parcel of being a lawyer is learning to adapt and overcome. You can do it.

As many have said before me, Part B is just a rite of passage. People are overthinking too much about its difficulty. Part A was the slaughterhouse imo. Passing rates was like 25-30% including retakes, make one mistake and you fail.

At least now they compacted idk 25 modules into just 6 examinations? Correct me if I am wrong. There is only a certain number of things they can test you on within the time constraints of 2 hours for each examination. They would not be asking you for an experienced lawyer's opinion on the material syllabus. If anything, I would describe Part B as a procedural exam where you just learn the basics of how it is practiced. I also remember each examination having several mistakes in their questions/answer choices and a lot of time was spent halting us and telling us the errors during the actual examination. This took up like 15-20 minutes of our exam time not to mention the added stress etc. (Arbitration cough*) had like 18 mistakes in the exam script and it was hilarious because their projector screen in the exam hall could not fit all the mistakes.

Eg: Family law, you are only needed to learn up to the point of how to draft a Statement of Particulars and ANJ v ANK. That is like 10% of what practice really is.

Take heart and soldier on. Law is not meant to be easy. But dont make it unnecessarily harder than it should be. Seek advice from your seniors or any colleagues you have in the firm you worked in or interned in before. Wish you all the best in Part B and looking forward to welcome you to this profession.