Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 29-08-2023, 07:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As a lawyer, you are supposed to be minimally proficient in all of the jurisdiction's laws. Part B barely scratches the tip of the iceberg of legal knowledge in Singapore. As you said, they are mostly teaching you the bare basic "motherhood statements" (i.e. the more important aspects of each field of law). You are nowhere close to learning decades of legal knowledge in 6 months.

While the bar exam is imperfect, the other alternatives that I can think of seem worse. For example, would you rather they extended the bar course to a full year (or more) so that you are not "overloaded" with information in only 6 months? Or would you rather a situation wherein Part B candidates can pick and choose the types of law he is examined on (regardless of their importance) but then is allowed to practice in areas which he did not even study? Say what you want about the bar exam, but at least the current bar exam ensures that you have a minimum understanding of each area of law.

Anyway Part B of the bar is a rite of passage, the failure rate is not meant to be extremely high (especially when retakes are allowed). Don't stress too much over it.
Daft.

Tell me the name of ONE lawyer who is familiar with the leading cases and main principles for ALL of the following: Ethics & Professional Responsibility; Banking & Fundraising; Corporate Governance; Insolvency & Corporate Restructuring; Intellectual Property; Mergers & Acquisitions; Competition Law; Taxation; Admiralty; Civil Litigation; Arbitration; Mediation Advocacy; Written Advocacy; Oral Advocacy; Criminal Litigation Practice & Procedure; Family Law Practice (inclusive of Muslim Law); Probate & Succession Planning; Real Estate Practice (Conveyancing); Employment Law; Personal Injury & Property Damage; Data Protection and Cyber Regulation; Law & Technology; Comparative Laws (inclusive of Civil Law); Conflict of Laws etc.

It is not a matter of reading a 20 page primer with 'motherhood statements' for each subject. If that were so, no candidate would be complaining. SILE and the course conveners expect them to read all of the leading cases in all of these these subjects. One subject alone can have up to 130 cases in their syllabus. Do the math.

I won't be surprised if the failure rates exceed 60%.