Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 26-08-2023, 11:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
He can’t be a star performer if he doesn’t know how to say “No” to bosses appropriately and look after himself. “He held on thinking it is a ticket to leadership track” = suggests that he willingly chose to ‘suck it up’ whatever was thrown at him and did not know his own limits.
Someone who is a real “star performer” will know how best their time, energy, and strengths should be utilized, have the moral courage and tact to say “I am afraid I don’t have the capacity to take this piece of work on right now. Can I contribute to it in a different way?” , and work without fear or favour.

If you can’t look after yourself, you can’t look after others. How to lead??
You're quite right in stating how an individual should know how to stand his/her ground.

It's just that sometimes for young officers, rejecting work is seen by their superiors as "not willing to learn" or "not a good team player".

And in different schools, under different KPs and SLs, the culture can be significantly different. Some superiors may even have told such young officers that "taking up opportunities will help in career progression".

And lastly, with the squeeze and slowdown in progression towards higher grades and appointments, where the bar keeps getting raised higher and higher, such cases are only going to become more common.

Sometimes the fault doesn't always lie fully in the young individual, especially when they don't hold much influence or authority yet.

And for those who mentioned about middle and higher management not being able to handle their workload, AT LEAST they're still paid higher for their work. Imagine younger officers doing such work but still with GEO pay