Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - NUS or SIM???
Thread: NUS or SIM???
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 05:07 PM

Alex is on a distinguished road

At first glance, NUS may seem to be a good choice. However you need to ask yourself a few questions:

1. Do I want to narrowly specialize, or do I seek to move across different jobs?

Computing is specialized and requires technical training . A Computing graduate can take on a business position, but a business graduate will rarely be able to take on an IT job.

2. My Computing degree complement my Business Diploma?

Employers now look for flexible workers with multiple skill set. In addition, the technical aspect may be more crucial if you intend to start up an IT / outsourcing / apps related company.

3. Can my family afford it?

If you apply for a study loan in SIM, it is counted as private education. There will be no deferred payments, with the exception of RHB. This means that if your cash runs dry, you may end up converting to part time studies (which will adversely affect your studies). In the worst case scenario, you may have to defer your studies to work and earn for your school fees.

NUS on the other hand, allows students to secure deferred payments. It can be repaid upon your graduation.

4. Network

NUS has an established network. Students can leverage on its brand to obtain internships, etc.

SIM provides similar student services, but it admittedly has a weaker network. If you are in SIM, you will need to put in more effort into searching.

5. Overseas Exchange

NUS has a simple advantage over SIM in its exchange program as mentioned in point 3 : the fees incurred. In SIM, you cannot borrow and defer your loan payment. Which means even if you get a chance to register and attend exchange at China, South Korea, UK or USA, you may not be able to afford it. In contrast, I have a friend who went to Europe on NUS deferred loan payment scheme. In addition, the choice of places and duration is also much shorter in SIM than in NUS.

6. The labor market is saturated with business students.

SMU, NUS, NTU, SIM, MDIS, PSB, SAA, Kaplan, JCU, CIT, etc

All the institutions above offer business related degree. Our labor market is saturated with business students, making it hard to stand out from the rest.

Although SIM offers a variety of degrees, it is still primarily a business-based institution. I also took note that you mentioned that you intent to continue with business in SIM - you should consider some form of specialization be it in Banking, Finance, Economics, Marketing or HR to improve your employability.