Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2023, 03:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi thanks for your advice! They are actually classified as large sized in MinLaw’s registry… I tried negotiating with them but it appears they’re not open to it at all. I was honestly quite stunned when I saw what they were offering. What exactly is going through their mind to make a firm of their size think it’ll be okay to pay trainees a meagre 1k, try to in effect bond me to them for 2 years and yet also not be transparent about their associate pay. Should I then be expecting to be paid half of what average associates get paid then? Honestly dumbfounded haha
IMO the terms are insane. Big 4 firms (back in my time) have asked for Part B fees back only if the former trainee leaves within 6-12 months (varies depending on firm). No clawback of previously paid allowance.

If you think about it, the clawback is already fairly onerous. Trainees are already being paid a meagre allowance - the firm would have gotten some value out of the trainee already v cost, even after factoring in the cost of the Part B fees.

The fact that a mid-sized firm (which, logically, should have a worse bargaining position) is trying to pull this stunt is astonishing. I'm sure you'll have better alternatives.