Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2023, 12:23 AM

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
When exceeding KRA is not enough to get good appraisal. Makes people think about 'meritorcracy' in civil service.
But if you think about it, different schools, different situations, different contexts, will also give rise to different 'standards' in meritocracy. You must know that KRAs although for each subgrade, has the criteria, but it still boils down to how the SLs or panel determines what you have done, as exceeding or meeting KRAs.

In a newly setup/merged school, about to merged school, or small school, the number of staff there will be lesser, since number of classes are lesser. The amount of planning and consideration to be done in terms of work-wise, will be lesser than that of the big schools. So what about those in big schools who do more, but is ranked to their peers and they do not get as good a grade as those in the other smaller schools I mentioned above?

Actually this kind of debate has been ongoing for many years already. I've seen many different people talk about them, come and go etc, disgruntled with the system.

I wouldn't say the system is perfect, so it's good to talk about all these and hope that one day the system can be improved. But I will still say that it is meritocratic enough as compared to some European countries where they allow unions to dictate teacher salary etc, and that really boils down to a lot of networking and stuff, and it's also not very transparent.