Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - NTU Materials Science and Engineering
View Single Post
Old 18-05-2012, 11:53 AM

fishball is on a distinguished road

This is a reply to gary_qop qns on MSE. I will answer him here so as to benefit more ppl who are also interested in MSE.

Does this course requires alot of physics?
There will definitely but quite abit of physics involved but much lesser then mechanical engineering (MAE). The level of physics will definitely be more difficult than JC physics. Example for the physics module, we deal with stuff in 2D whereas MAE ppl have to solve qn in 3D. MSE physics is 3AU whereas MAE physics is 4AU hence MSE ppl have lesser content to cover. In year 1, the course 'materials physics' was previously 'physics 1'. There have been some modification in the course to cater more to MSE ppl. I'm not sure about the modification as i took 'physics 1' instead. I heard 'materials physics' is easier but i cant confirm tt.

In year 1 do we have to do java code and C++ programming and all sort of stuff?
Year 1 computing course is for all engineering students. Its only C language programming. Much easier than C++. Dont worry about it, its quite an easy course provided u practise ur past year papers and tutorials.

Can I also enquire more about Polymers and Composites, Materials Structure and Defects & Mechanical Behavior of Materials?

You can visit NTU MSE wubsite. There are course descriptions for all courses in MSE.

How your uni life is like?

Each sem is slightly longer than 3months and every sem we have about 5-6 courses to clear. So most of the time I will be studying for tests (1-2 tests per course before exam) or doing projects. Before u know it, exam is around the corner. But u will have much more freedom and time compared to JC.

Does this course entails tutorial classes? and how are the lecturers like? Do we get a one to one session with them?
Yes, there will be tutorials. For a 3AU course, it is 1 hr tutorial and 2 hours lecture weekly. For 4 AU course its 3 hours lecture and 1 hr tutorial. MSE have a mix of good and bad lecturers but mostly good. Bad lecturers are only lousy in giving lecture but actually good when u ask them qn 1on1 basis. If have qns u can approach them directly after lectures or tutorials or even email them to book a time to meet in their office 1to1. Its quite easy to get a 1to1 session.

How is the material science 'family' like? is it very competitive there?
Join the orientation camp in MSE to get to know more people. It is difficult to know ppl during tutorials and lectures as all will be very busy listening and learning. For my batch, I think MSE dont have the competitive environment.