Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 20-05-2023, 04:39 PM
Unregistered

Default Not worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Would like some advice from FM seniors.
Can I ask how useful is it to stay in ops leading up to the mmed clinical exams.
I am exiting in July. just received akt results yesterday which I passed (i.e will be taking clinicals in October/ November)

Ops has arranged for a preparatory course for all residents which involved weekly clinicals (like mock consult case practice, lectures etc) from August onwards. The preparatory course is open to all residents, even if one chooses not to stay in ops. (It is conducted after hours weekly)

I was wondering if it is a better to join the prep course and go locum instead of working full-time with ops. That way you can set aside time to study (mmed after all is a very knowledge intensive exam). I will still get the relevant exam prep teaching (through the weekly clinicals), but of course lose out on the ops caseload experience. (I am not sure how critical is that as after all not all chronic cases in ops is managed in mmed style due to time constraints and other factors.. and real pts also don't always behave like the way sp behave in exams..)

I have seen seniors done that, some passed some failed. But those who stayed in ops also some passed and some failed.
So not sure if I should do that.

It’s only a few more months to go, might as well stay on

How much extra money can you make as a locum in that few months

Totally not worth it

If you are money motivated you shouldn’t even enter FM residency in the first place

Should have called it quits and break bond after your full reg