Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2023, 05:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes, I’m teaching a class currently with 8 students with a diagnosed SEN - 4 has dyslexia, 2 with ADHD and dyslexia, and 2 with Autism. I have 35 students in my class and I am very sure that there are several more undiagnosed, and haven’t included those with complex family background. So yes, I know what I am talking about. It is extremely hard work, and I am tired almost all the time, but it doesn’t mean that these children are such a pain to have like what your statement implies. If teaching was easy, everyone else can do it. But I learnt from the MOE psychologists and the sen officer, and when I have tried the classroom management strategies, they do work. Not 100% all the time, but there have been successes.
These children are never a pain, and they can have the kindest heart in the class. What I am implying is that good classroom management is not the only way to solve the root of the problem. Why are we not exploring into ways to create a more conducive environment for both teaching and learning? Reducing class size or even co-teaching can be of help. By simply saying that a teacher who cannot manage indicates that he/she has a bad classroom management, this is too cruel to all the teachers out there who have been putting his/her best effort to help all of the students.