Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2023, 10:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What do you guys thinking about semi-retiring at 40, taking on a job which is not demanding and pays around 2 to 3K pm, assuming passive income is at 1.3K pm, and monthly expenses is at 900pm.
That's an awful idea lol.

I'm going to make a few assumptions here, feel free to correct any of it and reply again for further advice.

2-3k PM, after CPF and tax? so let's say on average, 2.5k PM right?

2.5k - 900 = 1.4k monthly free cash + your passive income = 2.7k free cash.

What job is this? WFH? full remote? Highly unlikely, most tech jobs in SG aren't even full remote anymore but of course, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here. So assuming you need to stay in SG, let's say it's not demanding so assuming 8 - 3PM worktime max.

What are you gonna do after 3PM?

You can't travel overseas right? even if it's full remote job there's conditions that you have to abide by such as "working from home country" etc.

You gonna stay at home? Travel around SG? that's gonna get boring real fast, SG is boring af.

All of this is assuming if you even get an amazing job that lets you off after 3PM.

Most people retire at 50s because it's worth it to grind hard, earn 8-12k PM, build up assets, investments, etc so that they can quit fully, have actual free time ( 24 / 7 ) to do whatever they want. Travel the world, live in a different country for a year, go sailing, sky diving, whatever.

Semi-retiring is not an actual thing. If you are working on someone else's time then you are not retired at all. IF your boss suddenly calls you to come office at 5PM, what are you gonna say? "No boss I'm semi-retired, fk you bye"

No right?