Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM business or engineering
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Verified Member

xxl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, just to share with u my experience and perspective. I grad from a local uni, in a non-business, non-quantitative major with 2nd upper class hons and working in banking now.

Im not sure about the MNCs in the commercial sector, but I can tell u that there are many SIM grads working in foreign and local banks. eg. Bank of America, Deutsche, Stanchart etc etc. In banking & finance, except for top prestigious positions such as sales & trading, investment banking, research, management associate programs etc which offer lucrative pay, most other "normal" roles in banks don't care much about your degree. They bother more about your relevant working/internship experience. So for an average SIM grad who works 10 years in a bank's back office, I am pretty sure he/she will make more $ than the average local uni engineer.

Looking back on hindsight, I wish I had studied either business or quantitative/computational finance which is more relevant to what im doing now. Even if it's SIM business, I will be able to apply more of what I learn, compared to something that's totally irrelevant in local uni. (But this is on hindsight, cause I didn't expect myself to end up in finance, so don't be too sure that u'll end up as an engineer even if u get into NTU engineering)

A SIM business degree will be more versatile in terms of career paths/industries that u can venture into in the private sector though it will be much much harder for u to get into public sector with a SIM degree.

An NTU degree on the other hand, I feel, will offer u a much more enriching and fufilling uni life. U can join more ccas, hone your leadership, interpersonal skills and build life long friendships. U will also get to know many brilliant people, some of whom will become very successful eventually. I remember when I used to stay in hostel, this pretty DSTA scholar will always knock on my door on Wed nites, shouting "XXX! Come let's go Zouk!! Stop mugging inside!!!" Some people can play all day..and still score straight As..it's amazing knowing them. So, NTU is better for networking and leading a more fufilling uni life.

Of course if u're very sure materials engineering is your thing, do your best to get it. If u don't get it, I think SIM business is not that bad either. It could be a blessing in disguise.

All the best.
Hi. It's very encouraging to hear that!

Thank You