Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career advise
Thread: Career advise
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2023, 11:35 AM

infernolord is on a distinguished road
Default Career advise

I have been in the finance industry for over 18yrs. I have been very focus on one sector ie. funds selection and investments.
Currently working as a PM for a SFO for 3yrs. Prior to that was a PM for a small institutional for a numbers of years. Was a analyst for big SWF for years as well.

Sound all good, but the problem is i not been well compensated for staying so long with these firms. infact my pay now is close to 10k for a PM and I managed a small team of analysts. My pay have been progressive... ie. small increment leading to now.

Probably the problem is i do not come from a good uni, neither i have CFA. I am really bad in my studies but i love maths, i love running numbers.

Somehow i feel stuck at my situation. i cant go to banks and big asset mgmt due to my lack of "cert". I been sending 50 over job applications, some feel that i am not senior enough while others feel that i am over qualified. Irony.

Staying at my SFO, i knew i just helping them to grow their assets but i am not compensated even my fund make money.. just another salaried man.

Recently an offer came to me, they offer a market rate for compliance dd, which is attractive but i will give up my role as pm and my team. A higher pay but junior functional role. haiz. i not sure if that the right path.

feeling really lost now...