Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - 15% pay cut from private sector to teach in Polytechnic
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I read a number of the threads and thought that I could add my own experience as well. I have been working in the poly for more than 4years. I find that the work is very fast paced and requires a fair bit of judgement, intellect and management. Everyday there is a new challenge. I am in my late 30s and in a non-academic school. recently feel a little shortchanged as my sal has only increased by 1k after 4 yrs despite grading B and above in all the years. Am I being shortchanged or jus my perception?
First off, its usually not a good sign if you start describing poly life as “very fast paced, judgment, intellect and management “. Fulfilling yes, but let’s not kid ourselves, it ain’t anywhere near the levels of pte sector.

Grade B is average, $1000 increment over 4 years means $250 per year average. Assuming your pay is $5000, that’s about 5%, reasonable and not short change. My suggestion is you be content & stay where you are. The outside world will be too stressful for you even if they are willing to pay you more. Also your age is considered danger zone for retrenchment & unemployment, better don’t get greedy & fool around.