Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much do fresh uni grads (electrical engineers) earn, & how much 5-10 years later?
View Single Post
Old 30-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Your figures you're quoted are very skewed. You're saying that only 20% of the grads are women? Also, only 20% of all women drop out?

I would expect the grad cohort to consist of 40-45% women at least, and out of that, at least 40% to drop out due to whatever reasons (health, family, passion, migration, part-time work). That excludes the men who willingly drop out, which will fall in at least the 20% region.

Grads who choose not to make >10k IS a valid point. In the late 30s/40s,, to many who are capable, making >10k is no longer important. I have personally seen many VPs (>12k) who choose to drop out for a variety of reasons from volunteering in church, family, start businesses or just to travel the world.

After a while, life isn't just all about money/work.
I think you misunderstood my statement. I was not saying only 20% of grad are women and only 20% of all women drop out. I said assume 20% of 20% (of the cohort) are woman who drop out, it will be 4% of the cohort.

For example; If out of 100 person only 20% made it to local U. And out of 20%, assume half (10%) are men and half(10%) are women, 4% of cohort would means 40% of women drop out. That is more than enough as I don't think 40% of grad women drop out of workforce. So if majority (say 80%) of remaining 16% still makes more than $10K/month, the % will be 13% just for grad alone. But MOM stats is showing 9% for all in the age group of 35-39 which include grad and non grad.

I don't refute the fact that many grad in their 30s makes more than $10K/month, I just don't believe they are the majority. I have many local graduates in their mid 30s applying for jobs in my companies and their existing and asking salaries are in the $6-8K, even from large MNCs.