Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2023, 09:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
? notice i say not enuff and not that a lot of m.meder leave.
There is a dearth because a lot of the RPs leaving and more polyclinic being built. Supply cannot meet demand.

FM is one of the few specialty where u have a lot of choices tbh.

take for eg surgery. yes you are a surgeon when you exit. But you have to get a job in the public because now none of the private hospital will give u admitting ( and hence operating ) privilege unless u are a consultant with 3 years of experience in a public under your belt. When u exit, no choice, u have to get a job a public hospital. You can't set up shop in private now immediately after you exit. You go for a gap year, that's it, your spot is taken by your junior liao.

Not so for the m.meder in FM. Any GP chain will welcome a m.meder because you can hit the ground running. I had interview ( for the fun of it) with many chains. No one bother to ask me my experience. It's straight to pay negotiations. A m.med ( FM) is a badge in itself. You can do what you are hired to do with plenty to spare.

Pple leave the system after m.med for a variety of reason. Some want to take a break. Some of these chaps have been sloughing it out since secondary school -> A level -> chiong med school -> struggle HO -> do the tough FM residency then the even tougher M.med. Many want to have time for themselves. One junior want to go backpack around the world for 1 year. Another want to start a family -> getting a new house and want to design it swee swee. Another want to locum and travel the world in between -> then now want to settle down with a group -> anywhere he apply he gets a interview because he had a M.med.
A few of my m.meders friend leave. They are AC level and beyond. One just completed her family. Can locum in the morning after i sent them to school she says. ' Aiyah, take it easy la'. Afternoon i chill then pick them up from school. Still get 6-8K salary. Can buy my hermes bag.
One want to set up her own clinic. One wants to do more, going into palliative care . Another want more time with her dad who got cancer.

you know why they can do it?

because end of the day, they have a m.med. Chains will take them. They want to return to the public system, pple will take them. When i was a resident i wanted to quit. My PD tells me , finish your m.med then you have a lot of choices. I dunno what he means.
Now i truly do.

There are probably GPs in this thread ,maybe a few sore locums, probably some residency rejects as well. TBH, private GP gig is not bad.
But for the juniors and anyone, dun be short sighted. Life isn't easy. You work hard you get your M.med you have choices in life.
Otherwise you end up being the sore GP , residency reject who do nothing but come here and try to convince everyone else their lifestyle is the best, but because they are doing that, you know that something isn't right. They are stuck in with what they are doing and have no choice but to convince themselves and beguile everyone else

You are mistaken, chains dont care abt mmed , they care abt revenue , whether they keep u or uphold their initial pay offer depends on how much money u bring in