Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2023, 03:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it. I'm quite sure that I'm not a bad apple as my performance has been consistently good and I'm enthusiastic about taking on even more challenges. Unlike some of my older colleagues who understandably prefer not to take on additional work, I'm filled with energy and eager to do more. Unfortunately, my supervisor has mentioned this "headcount" thing that prevents me from continuing on, even if I wanted to.

I'm just confused about this headcount thing. Is it a budgetary issue? Cause I definitely earn significantly lesser to my other colleagues. I know for sure because they will chit chat about their salary openly.

I'm not really concerned about not being able to get another job but I'm just thinking if I should continue staying on in the CS. Needing to find a new job every other year is just seriously not very ideal..
Sorry I wasn’t saying you are bad Apple. I’m saying why they have 2 year contract before perm at Ministries.

For SB, it can be the same probation type of contract or what you are facing, headcount constraints

The entire public service can only take a certain number of total headcount so that the private sector will have enough left. What the number is… well only the PSC/PSD scholars and the economists and stats service on that issue will know.

This headcount is then divided among all the Ministries and Stat Board. If they don’t give the SB the headcount, they just cannot hire more perm. They can get around it with contracts. But PSD learnt and say contract can only be renewed maximum of X times.

So you can be good, but your boss really got their hands tied. You also need to see how strong your super scale boss is in the organisation. You see some depts always can convert to perm, but some always have to let people go.

Take the time to network, plug in to gossip, and find a good boss

In general Ministries don’t need to play the contract game. Because they will take the headcount they need before giving the balance to its stat boards.

Enough of the big picture crap. Network, apply for other roles, find good boss. Good luck