Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 20-02-2023, 07:05 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, can anyone advise on the possible salary if one were to do a mid career switch (from education related industry) for the untrained teaching position? Is it kept strictly to the range stated on MOE website? Or would they also consider our last drawn? Thanks in advance for your help!

Mid career switch here. I don't know if my experience with MOE is still relevant.

I did the switch in 2008 (the luckier batches before 2015). I took almost a 2k pay cut to join MOE because of of NIE. From 4.5 k then, I had to draw 2.3 or so during NIE training. Initially, I wanted to reject the job, citing pay cut as the main reason. Then one HR executive called me and assured me that the ministry would match my pay asap.

I bit the bullet and went through the training. Upon graduation, they converted my scheme to GEO 3 (whereas the rest would be GEO 2) immediately. My salary was revised to 4.7k, which was very close to the last drawn. Within 2 years, I was promoted to GEO 4 (but I was stuck at GEO 4 for a long time). I have a colleague who worked for 15 years before switching. She hit GEO 5 in 7 years. There will be accelerated promotion if your performance is good. It depends on your career. A good conversion (after talking to different sources) was 2 years of irrelevant working experience would be considered to be 1 year of teaching experience. At that time, I was considered to have 4 years of teaching experience because I worked for 8 years in other industries.

General consensus amongst the mid-career switchers: the ministry definitely tries to match your last drawn pay asap. But once they match it (and give you a little more), the progression would be as per other teachers.

I am quite happy in MOE because I could not take the volatility in my previous industry (finance-related). I prefer to have a stable income. The overall package is not great but it is not shabby either, when I compare it to my peers in the 40s who are either drawing a lot more than I do, or having issues seeking jobs because they have been asked to leave the institutions.