Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 21-12-2022, 05:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Anyone who tells you it "doesn't matter at all" is just full of it (or salty). There's no way getting first class honors will not give you some advantage in a job application or in raising your profile to clients, the question is just of how much it helps.

As a general rule I would say it helps more in disputes work (which is very reputation driven and your performance in school is more indicative of your ability to do good work) than corporate. It is also less important the more years of practice you have. My degree and grades definitely helped when I did my first job change one year in, but I dont see it mattering if I was 6 PQE for example.
Thanks all for your replies. I’m a bit worried because I’m on the fringe of FCH and I find it quite binary that just because I fall just short the cutoff, the “worth” of my degree is somewhat equivalent to anyone else with a second upper degree (the CAP range for 2nd upper is from 3.2 - 4.3). Any thoughts on this?

Also to the person who posted this reply, would you mind sharing what kind of firm you switched to 1 year in? And what tier of firm were you in preciously? Thanks.