Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 23-11-2022, 09:56 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yup I understand your point. It's just that when I last looked at OPE positions, there actually weren't many "suitable" ones available. I believe that was what happened to the teacher I mentioned (from JC or not doesn't matter) - not much choice so randomly apply just to get into HQ lol, and end up in some unwanted place.

Also heard from middle and higher management that HQ positions are limited and extremely competitive too (at least for the "highly valued" branches). Most positions seem to be reserved for scholars first.
If you are applying to something you are interested in, it’s not randomly applying. What kind of roles are you interested in? There are so many divisions in HQ and you might not even be aware of.

It is true that HQ positions are competitive because if you compare the hundreds of positions to the tens of thousands of teaching positions, how many people can become HQ officers? But it doesn’t mean you can’t if you don’t try. I find my middle managers in schools like to demoralise their teachers by saying such things because they themselves in the first place can’t get a HQ posting and they are only being sour grapes.

What are the “highly valued” divisions? All divisions are important. The so called “highly valued” divisions might not even be the most suitable place for you.

You need to see what you are interested in? Technology (ETD), Curriculum (CPDD), Curriculum Policy (CPO), Special Needs (SpeD), CCE, teacher training (AST), communications (Corporate Communications), higher Ed?

There are so many divisions. And I must say every division take in OPE (not just scholars) and if you prove yourself, you will get your enhanced posting.