Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL Career/Financial Prospects of Different Courses
View Single Post
Old 17-03-2012, 04:37 PM
QXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboncopy View Post
Hi all,

I'm currently deciding on an SIM-UOL course to apply for.

Can anyone advise on the career/financial prospects of each degree?

1. For a particular degree, what career fields can you go into and how much can you expect to earn as a fresh graduate/in 5 years' time?

2. Are there any SIM-UOL courses that offer at least an equal playing field as compared to local uni courses? For instance, employers may prefer NBS grads over SIM-UOL Biz grads due to the former's prestige. However, maybe they have no preference for A&F as long as you pass your ACCA?

I understand that there are alot of variables involved, such as your honours and interview/work performance.

However, it would be great if any SIM-UOL grads can share their personal experience, or if you know any friends who did.

I think it would be really helpful for prospective students if there's a general picture that would better enable them to make their decision. It's a pity there isn't anything like

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/post...es/ges-nus.pdf

for SIM!

P.S. I know that there's already an SIM thread but this addresses more towards issues for prospective students? So I hope I'm not overlapping!

Thanks for the help
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of labour markets.

There is no intrinsic worth to each degree, your pay progression is determined by a combination of ever changing macroeconomic factors and individual circumstances.

It is a common mistake for fresh grads to think anyone can predict such things with any degree of accuracy and somehow "plot" the optimal route.

My recommendation is for you to choose a course that leverages on your skill and makes whatever weaknesses you have irrelevant. Do not try to make course decisions based on market predictions of pay potential, it seldom works out.

Ask the engineering grads in late 90s, IT grads post 2000, finance grads in 2008 and biotech grads now how did their rush to study whatever was the "in" thing turn out.