Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Job-hopping within civil sector
View Single Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:00 AM

Anonymous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelandok View Post
I am currently looking into a career in the civil sector and am likely to job hop within the civil service after I gain a few years of experience from my first job in the service.

Hence, I would like to hear from anyone who has job hop within the civil service (consecutive job-hopping) about their experience in terms of ease of finding job and increment in pay. Do the next agency who hire you pay a salary based on your previous MX scheme grading?

If I started off as a fresh grad with a MX 12 grade and am expected to attain MX 11 in about 4-5 years if I remain with the same agency, is there a possibility to get a new job in another civil service agency after say 3 years in my first job on a MX 11 or perhaps a better pay within the MX12 grade?

My apologies if the question sounds too basic or naive but I am willing to hear your comments anyway.

Thank you!
whenever i come across a resume of a job-hopper, a flag is raised immediately. if you think job hopping can accelerate one's promotion, you can continue waiting. most likely it will slow down progression rather than speed up. asking for external posting or secondment is always a better strategy. you get the exposure and at the same time hedge your risks by retaining the put option in the parent agency. if you do well in the new agency, you can always apply for a transfer after that.

Last edited by Anonymous; 16-03-2012 at 12:04 AM.