Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Graduate income
Thread: Graduate income
View Single Post
Old 14-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Can't really agree with describing engineering as a safe and comfy $3k job. Firstly the safe part lasts as long as you are less than 35, beyond that age any hirer will prefer younger engineers. they are more relevant and sharp. experience in engineering don't always count, engineering/it technology progresses faster than any other fields. A lawyer/acountant/doctor commands higher pay when they age and gathers experience in their field. An engineer who is the best in the world in FORTRAN or COBOL or ANALOG CIRCUIT DESIGN is worthless today. Companies need that fresh grad who is at home with java and some such latest engineering skills. A doctor who focused even on obscure fields like finger muscle atrophy will be greatly prized as he ages and gains more knowledge, because the human finger basically do not change.

Secondly the comfy part is a myth. Engineers has a low $/effort ratio in their job. that $3k job may require the engineer to be on call 24/7 and fire fight late into the night on any day for a myriad of problems that may arise on the shop floor, or at customers' premise.

But don't get it wrong. Engineering is a noble profession. Napoleon set up special schools (Grandes Ecoles) that caters to training engineers, and regards the profession as higher as medicine or law. However, one should be cognizant of the culture in which you will practise engineering.
I used to be an engineer, am in a bank now, and my observations are
1. As an engineer u r nvr worried about getting fired, but in a bank u hear about this every week
2. As an engineer, i was nvr worried i ciuldnt find a job at similar pay lvls. $3k a mth jobs could be found everywhere, relevant exp or not . Now, at a bank, if i lose my job, i cld be out for 6mths to 2yrs before i found an equivalent paying job. Or potentially look at a 30 to 50pc cut in salary if im eager to jump back into the job mkt