Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Graduate income
Thread: Graduate income
View Single Post
Old 14-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbm View Post
Yea after much consultation, engineering is never the course I though it would be like. But as I said the law medicine and banking is out of my league already, considering my grades. Now Im makin a decision to get into SMU arts and social science, which I have interest in as well. But of course I have to research more before puting in as my first choice.
Thats an easier course , which gives u more time to devote to the career search, but does take away the safety net of engr somewhat. With engr, at least if all else fails, you are relatively assured of a comfy $3k job thats not going to make u rich but has a lot of stability.

With arts and social science, there is no obvious outlet hence starting pay tends to be lower than for other majors.

Just need to go in with ur eyes open - that once u go in, u hv to work twice as or three times as hard as your course mates to land a well paying job. Cos if u drift along like everyone else, u wld end up in the average band, and the average band of arts and social sciences grads arent high salary earners.

Now before i get flamed by some arts and social science grad, let me say that im just speaking based on hard salary statistics without context. If any arts and social science grads can provide context to the numbers ie in terms of the type of jobs the avg bander can expect to get and the future prospects, that will help in the discussion .