Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - High Finance Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2022, 11:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all,

Just finished my 2nd year at one of the local uni. Have been grinding hard for the M&A career path. But I'm cognizant that I am probably not good enough for BB IBD, probably MM at best. If say I cmi, then I'll have to slog off at Big4/Japanese bank/local bank at 4-5k for IBD hours... Should I look to go Markets or PB or Sales(S&T) instead where the competition is way lower? I still have the time to transition but I feel like now is the time. PB at BB is >7k and WLB is way better too. Any advice for me?
First of all, decide first what you want and just home in to that because that's what it will take to break into these high paying job. IBD is very different from PB/S&T/WM.

In the case you don't make it, you will have to aim for Corporate Finance at Big4/Japanese bank/Local bank where you can learn the rope at a much forgiving hours and pressure. To clear your doubt, these firm won't work you to death like in BB. Trust me, hours/pressure is commensurate with pay.

Other alternative is corporate development role, in-house M&A team, etc. But this depends on your interest, you seem to be only in for the money.

In any case, if you really have ambition and great desire to work in M&A, just keep the grind. Trust me I was really in your shoes in my Sophomore year with nothing much lined up, but somehow broke into one of the BB anyway.

You can list your current internship experience/achievement here, I can help you rate your chance.