Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Getting MBA worth?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How do you get in? I am an engineer who just completed my MBA. I am thinking of switching to IB.
Frankly, that's not the easiest switch cos there are so many engineers wanting to do the same.

Its possible - I did that. But the internship is absolutely key, and you need to hunt it down by whatever means possible. Cold calling, family and friends, alumni etc etc etc. For me, I heard about an opening at an IB thru a friend, and I absolutely hounded the hiring manager shamelessly for weeks on end until they offered me the internship.

Reality is, there's got to be a degree of shamelessness in chasing these roles, because of the number of people applying for these jobs. If you can't beat them in credentials, just have to beat them in persistence.

And luck plays a big part as well. A lot of times, you hear of these roles thru the grapevine. Cos just relying on your career office is not sufficient for non-conventional CVs. But by being persistent, sometimes you create your own luck.

Remember, as an engineer, you are at a severe disadvantage compared to those who went into the MBA from banking RM jobs, or banking mid or back office roles , who are looking to get into the meatier front office roles via the MBA route. So you have to put in an extraordinarily greater effort in order to even stand a chance.

So pound away and good luck.