Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - What are some good non-fang tech companies?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2022, 10:54 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i mean in that case you have to think about what is impt to you. but the fact of the matter is banks still see tech as a COST center (quants and related roles are excluded).

as compared to tech tech companies where they see swe as revenue generating, it is unlikely that a bank will pay their cost centers more than a tech company will pay their money makers. so i would say ur hypothetical scenario is quite unlikely to happen in the first place.

but if this really happens, then like i said above you have to think about what is impt to you. for me im more interested in the exit opportunities and experience and technical skills to gain. for eg, if the bank only uses some java springboot stack that some ppl alr consider legacy, compared to a more modern stack like graphql and react, then my choice is clear.
The good thing is that this is changing. Banks are now hiring tech employees at record levels, and they're fighting hard against their competition, which gives an upward pressure on salaries. I was in banking tech not too long ago, and I saw no less than 4 new hires from FAANG (albeit at VP level and above). The competition between banks, and with Fintechs means that management is waking up their idea on treating tech as a cost centre.

It also makes a big difference which team you're in. If you're working on new modernisation projects, the skills you get are a lot more sellable. If you're mostly supporting BAU on legacy services, then it can be quite a dead end if you do it for long.