Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - settle for an engineering course or retake exam?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Unregistered

Default Think again

Are you sure back office in banks pay 5 to 6k after 2 to 3 years? This isn't what I have heard from friends. What I have heard is banking jobs are very volatile and unstable now. If you check on salary survey, earning 5 to 6k at the age of 30 years old will put you on the top 20% percentile of the population. There are so many banks and back offices in Singapore. If I can be the top 20% of the population by working in the back offices, why are so many bankers struggling to get out of back offices to move into middle or front offices? I think you have to digest all the info and think carefully about what is realistic. Don't just aspire to join the banks because you hear from others that you can make more money in this industry. The truth is there are more people who just make an average living than people who earn alot of money. It is true that engineering is a tough subject to score. But you should know sometimes whether is it easy or difficult to score also depends on your talents and interests. If you are someone strong in maths and science but weak in languages, you will find majors like law and history tough and engineering relatively easier. Likewise if you are weak in maths and science and strong in languages. If I were you, I would choose to study a subject that I am confident I can score well and is relatively easy to find jobs. Whether you succeed in the future or not all depends on your abilities.