Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - settle for an engineering course or retake exam?
View Single Post
Old 29-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Verified Member

suppertime is on a distinguished road

Hello. I understand where you are coming from. I concur with you that as long as we work hard, nothing is impossible, really.

This is my very first step into the working world. I don't wish to use 4 years of my youth, only to find out that at the end of it, I am not given the chance to redeem myself. That I am not even called up for interviews because of certain stigmatisations that employers have for graduates from a certain university or certain course. This is, to me, the step before starting to "fight" tooth and nail to reach the top, in the employer's company.

Will employers slam the door on me just purely based upon my resume/degree? I am sure they have a criteria on this? Anyone care to share on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My advice is to choose a course that you have confidence you will do well. In this highly competitive world where graduates are in abundance, your degrees are worthless unless you have a 2nd Upper honours and above. But having said that, the class of your honors is only a stepping stone. Getting a 2nd lower honours or 3rd class does not spell the end of the world. You can still succeed in the working world. Just that you will probably face a tougher time at the beginning compared to your peers whom have obtained better honors. Secondy, I would advise you not to buy into the general perception that courses like engineering are dead end whereas finance and accountancy promise riches and wealth. It is true that finance and accountancy can pay very well if you have what it takes to succeed. But behind every success, there is blood and sweat. And the most important point to takeaway is that not everybody gets there. I would describe finance and accountancy as a sugar coated cake coveted by too many eyes. The end result is that you will find yourself competing with an infinite pool of the smartest and most hardworking people. If you believe that you have what it takes to compete with the best brains out there, go ahead to pursue finance and accountancy. At the end of the day, you have to remember that every society will need people to want to work in all kinds of professions. It is not true that you cannot do well in engineering. And it is also not true that most finance and accountancy professionals get paid **** loads of money. At the end of the day, you can succeed in any fields. You just need to have the capabilities, dedications and stamina. Hope my advices helped.