Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - settle for an engineering course or retake exam?
View Single Post
Old 29-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Unregistered

I took accountancy but I never wanted to be an auditor. I had a GF who had straight A's, scholar and who was in engineering. We studied together so I know how difficult engineering modules are. The amt of effort it took me to get an A in my modules would have best got me a C in engineering.

Of course this is specific to me.. but I want to point out that I was from science stream in JC and generally have been quite good with maths / physics. So in short, I am pretty decent with numbers but found accountancy so much easier to score.

Any of my close friends / siblings ask me for advice, I will recommend accountancy/ B&F over engineering.

How much do you think first class honor grads from accountancy / B&F earn versus their engineering peers (who have first class?).

Even if you end up with 2nd lower, I have a cousin and a good friend with no honors who are working in back office operations (at banks). They are earning $5-6k after 2-3 years work. Bonus of 2-4 mths. How much do you think a mediocre engineer make after 2-3 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suppertime View Post
You are right. I did not perform up to expectations for all subjects, but there was a particular one which was far off what I had expected. I was not being unrealistic at all. The past year A level papers that I attempted for this subject, showed a consistent A for at least the papers of the past 3 years. Complacency maybe? That contributed to me, not meeting the "cut-off point" for a course like accountancy. Thank you for the questions that you have posted. They really set me thinking. I am also getting curious of the course which you took.