Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - settle for an engineering course or retake exam?
View Single Post
Old 29-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Money is never enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by suppertime View Post
Hello everyone, I have a place in NUS's mech eng. There are many things on my mind that I wish to get opinions for.

After reading the threads here, it seems, in general, engineers are underappreciated and underpaid. Given that I'm in NS at the moment, I have intentions to retake my A levels to qualify for harder-to-get-in courses such as B A, accountancy. Then again, will such a degree be more valuable?
Firstly, are you really sure you have secured a place in NUS' ME or just Common Engg. Perhaps's I'm outdated, but during my time in 2001, unless you joined as a diploma holder or you have a place in Chem/Computer Engg, you would only be streamed after your 1st academic yr based on your choice and results. If your Year One result suk big time, you will be thrown to the dumping department (CE was the dumping ground during my time).

Secondly, has the entry requirement for NUS Engg dropped so much? Back in 2001, one requires at least 2 A 1 B to enter NUS Common Engg whereas requirements for NUS Bizad, NTU Accountancy/Biz Studies are less stringent. Given that NUS Engg Faculty is ranked 7th globally in QS World Ranking 2011, it's sad to see my juniors treating it like dumping ground.